Escarole is this weeks’ love of my life! I discovered how to use this (along with other greens) in soup – a very new concept for me. I thought these lettuce like things were only for salad! How wrong I was! This oh so simple soup works up super quick, can be a week night meal and provides a way to add green leafy to your diet in a new way!
So the plant, escarole, is a member of the chicory family and is also “confused” with it’s cousin, endive. (Actually, escarole is thought to be a curly leaf varietal of endive – which has spike leaves.) No matter, what is important is that this green is one of the bitter greens.
Even so, understanding how to cook this leafy can make it a go to green. And if you want to add the powerhouse of Vitamin K, (Good for your heart, blood and bones), Vitamin A, (supports eye health), and Folate, this nutrient dense food is for you!
Love of Leafy Soup
An easy weeknight meal and a great way to add greens to your diet.
- 4 oz. escarole
- 6 oz. Swiss Chard (Or Spinach)
- 8 c. vegetable broth
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3-5 cloves fresh garlic finely chopped
- 1/8 t. red pepper flakes (cayenne)
- dash cumin
- 4 oz. pasta (Mini Farfalle or Ditaleni)
- 1/2 fresh lemon – juiced
- fresh Parmesan cheese, grated.
- Heat garlic, cumin and red pepper gently in olive oil just until fragrant
- Add 8 c. vegetable broth and bring to a rapid boil.
- When boiling, add pasta, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash escarole and Swiss chard well under running water. Dry. Chop into 1 in. pieces.
- Add greens and cook just until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, serve and top with Parmesan cheese.
Endive Vs Escarole
Pointy thin leaves (Endive) vs. Curvy rounded leaves (Escarole)
Ha! I misread and thought you were talking about escargot in leafy green soup!! Of course not ! Snails in the lovely sounding soup would have ruined it.
But I think Escargot (in a little garlic butter, maybe with some lavender) would go very well with this soup – on the side, though, as an appetizer course!!!!